Thursday, December 12, 2013

It's been a while...

Well, folks, it's time to officially say my last on this program.  Mainly because I am embarking on a new adventure in a month! (Details at the end of the post!)

Well. A few weeks went by after I got home from AmeriCorps and I started to feel restless.  I felt like my life was on pause if that makes any sense.  I was getting back into my old routine, and felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything. This quickly changed when I started school at DVC.  I took/am taking a HUGE load of classes this semester, and of course took chamber choir!  I am in the middle of finals right now, so if you don't see me in the next week I will be in a corner writing a sonata.... ha... no seriously though.

Now that I am back into "regular civilization" I have realized more about how AmeriCorps has shaped my thoughts and life.  I am overall just a way more confident person, but at the same time I have lost my need for attention (praise Jesus).  I think what has most changed me spiritually was the chance to understand other people's beliefs, and not only understand them but appreciate them.  I use the skills I developed in AmeriCorps every day, especially active listening. Almost magically, I am able to fully pay attention to my teachers and not be zoning out all the time like I used to.  I will also be using much of the money management and cooking skills next semester in my new big adventure.  Today I was talking to a girl and I mentioned I did Hurricane Sandy Relief and all she said was "that sounds like fun".  I don't know what it would be like to lose my house, possessions, etc. but I am glad I was there to witness everything and make a difference in one or two people's lives.  I have a better understand of the older generation, the work force, and basically was able to narrow down what I would want to do during the rest of my life.

As you can see, AmeriCorps was cool. And I probably won't do another AmeriCorps program again during adulthood (I like to keep it fresh) but I am certainly glad I did it and that I got the chance to be part of something bigger than myself.

And as the saying goes, when one door closes, another one opens...and this time the door is opening and Walt and Mickey are on the other side :)

Here's the story...
So one day while I was looking at Facebook (this is also how I found AmeriCorps) I saw my friend post a status encouraging people to apply for the Disney College Program....So I thought about it for a minute and I quickly applied. The moment I hit submit, I was directed to a web based interview that is similar to an integrity test.  Right after that, I got a phone interview time slot within 48 hours at 6 in the morning. So I woke up that day and did my interview, and of course talked about AmeriCorps and a few days after I was accepted!  
I am officially a Custodian at Disney World! YES that means FLORIDA!
which means......
...
..
SWEEEEET TEA!!!!  

It's been too long. I miss it so.  But also I miss the humidity and the weather and the rain and EVERYTHING about the south.

Well, if you feel like you want to follow me throughout this experience, my blog is
kristyisworkingforthemouse.blogspot.com

I'll be posting one soonish...it's finals week you know...I'm SO NA TA fan....hahahahaha...lol because I have to write a Sonata...

Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment